Friday, June 12, 2009

WSOP 2009 - 0 for 2

So, I feel like a lot has happened since I last blogged, but I can't really remember everything now - I'll try to hit the highlights...

Sarah and I went to Old Vegas on Tuesday and played at Binion's, the birthplace of poker in Las Vegas. An interesting experience, but not one I would repeat - things have certainly deteriorated in that part of town. I did win a few hundred at cash games there, so no big complaints. Tuesday night we grabbed a free hotel room at Harrah's so we could have a night out on the strip. Sarah, Trenton, and I hit up a few bars up and down the strip and ended up doing some late-night gambling at the Wynn. I was pretty pleased when I broke even after an hour of betting big (for me) at a $25 blackjack table - not sure I would have played those stakes sober ;)

Yesterday we relaxed a bit, then I played some more poker at Caesars and I had my first losing cash session in almost a week. Eh.

Today was my second crack at a World Series event in '09. It was a $1,500 no-limit hold 'em event with over 2,500 players and the top 270 players were to be paid. Unfortunately, I never really got going, and yet surprisingly made it quite deep into the tournament. We started with 4,500 chips, and without surpassing the 6,500 chip mark, I outlasted nearly 2,000 players! However, having around the starting stack the whole time left me short-stacked from the 3rd hour on (I wonder if I was approaching some sort of record for short-stack survival!). I moved all in a few times, mostly winning pots without seeing flops. A couple of times I got called on my all-ins and either won or split pots. I was finally put out of my misery after about 9 hours of play when I was forced to move all-in with Q10 of diamonds. I was called by a player with 77, and after an exciting flop with two diamonds, I missed the turn and river and was knocked out in ~600th place.

Yet another WSOP event I fail to cash in, but I can't say I'm upset with this one, because I really felt my elimination was inevitable with the stack I had all day. The good news is I'm still solidly in the black for the summer.

I'm playing another WSOP event on Saturday (basically the same as today), and as usual, I have high hopes! Sarah is heading home tomorrow morning, so I think I'll hit the golf course for the first time to have a nice little break from the tables.

Finally, as promised, I've been taking more pics, so here are some of my favorites -

In-N-Out Burger!


Sarah in the ladies' event


Hanging at the Rio pool


Sarah and Trenton (awwww!)


Playing beer pong!


Eating a fried twinkie (mmmm!)

Margarita celebration


Wishing I was cool

No comments: