Thursday, June 4, 2009

Crappy World Series Luck Continues

Well, my first full day of poker pretty much sucked.

In the World Series event, I plodded along for the first 45 minutes with nothing major really happening. Then I picked up QQ in the small blind, and it folded around to me. I raised, the big blind re-raised, I re-raised, he pushed all-in and after some long thought, I decided I was fairly sure he didn’t have AA or KK, so I called. I was correct, and he turned over KQ, a good situation for me (65%/35%). But of course, he hit his king on the turn and I was down to 10% of the starting chip stack. I was able to hang on for another hour or so, but with my short stack I was eventually forced to move all-in with AJ and was called by KK. I didn’t hit an ace and that was it. Clearly the QQ hand was the critical one for me, and although I was pretty upset at the time, I always keep in mind that it’s less painful to have that happen early on in a tournament than after 8 hours of play when you are just about to make it into the money.

I spent what felt like a reallllly long time playing cash games after that (having just gotten home at ~12:30), and again I had a pretty up-and-down day with some major swings. I won’t report today’s final tally, but let’s just say it was in the red. Quick hand story (my last hand of the night) – I had 45 of spades, and a bunch of players saw a flop of 267 with 2 diamonds. I called a small bet and the turn was the 8 of spades and I hit my straight! I bet, and the guy who bet the flop pushed all-in. I called instantly, and he said “oops” and turned over J10 of diamonds. Over course, the river was the 4 of diamonds and I lost a big pot. Just thought I’d share cause it felt like a microcosm of today.

Frankly, those hands aside, I was just playing bad. I was playing far more aggressive than I normally do, and I’m sure I seemed crazy to most of the people I played with. Granted, I was having fun (and getting some hands once in a while that prevented me from getting too far in the hole), but it was definitely not profitable poker. I will absolutely have to work on reigning that in tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will probably go to Caesars for a mega-stack tournament. The $500 buy-in sounds like a nice compromise between wanting a decent prize pool and not wanting to drop the crazy WSOP buy-ins. Whether I play will actually depend on the…

… cable guy, who is supposed to come by tomorrow morning. Hopefully I will finally have something to do to distract me from poker a few minutes a day. I need my entertainment when I’m cooking dinner or getting ready to go out in the morning!

1 comment:

dr. n/a said...

your bad luck disappoints me. we are no longer friends. that is, unless you win big today.