Wednesday, June 24, 2009

When you don't have anything good to say...

...don't say anything at all. That about sums up my last few days. In numbers - 3 deep stack tournaments, 3 bust-outs, 0 cashes. 1 awful cash-game session. Sweet. No worries though, I'm taking it all in stride and still having fun - its just a little money, right?

So in addition to the live tournaments I've played, I've been trying to qualify for the main event through online tournaments (I know - I'm in Vegas and yet I'm playing online... awesome). There are a series of events on PokerStars called "step" tournaments. Basically, you start at Step 1, and in each 9-person tournament, if you finish in the top 2, you move forward to the next step (you can also win a ticket to the same step depending on where you finish - 3rd, 4th, etc.). The winner of step 6 wins a seat to the main event - simple enough, right? Well, for basically no investment (I used frequent player points for step 1 entries), I made it all the way through the steps series to step 6. After many live tournament struggles, I thought I may have better luck online and finally played my step 6 tournament tonight. It had 12 players and was awarding 2 main event seats. I made it all the way down to 4 players, 2 away from the $12,000 prize package, before being eliminated when my K10 failed to hit against my opponent's 88. Sadly, in step 6, you can't win tickets to retry any steps, so that is it for me - very very disappointing. I really thought I could make it through, but no such luck. Unless something crazy happens in the next week, that was probably my last chance to get myself into the main event.

I'll be playing one more deep stack tomorrow before likely taking Friday off for some golf and errands to prepare for my next visitors! As always, it looks like Amanda, Laura, and I will have some great weather for an awesome weekend.

No comments: