Thursday, July 9, 2009

Solid Start

It was back to the poker tables today after 4 long days off...

I played the 1st day of the Caesars Palace Mega Stack main event. Couple basic facts about the tournament: $1,070 buy-in, 3-day event, total of ~700 players (2 different starting days - ~300 yesterday, ~400 today), top 72 places to be paid, $150,000 for 1st place, 50,000 chips to start!

The structure allows for a LOT of play (given the huge chip stacks), as evidenced by the fact that 120 players made it through the first "day 1". It was pretty slow going for me early on, but then I got on quite a roll, and at the dinner break I was sitting on 110k chips. After dinner things got crazy, and I was catching cards left and right to catapult up to 330k! A few substantial slip-ups late in the evening left me with 215k at the end of the day. I was pretty disappointed to blow through over 100k in chips, but the average chip stack starting tomorrow will be ~125k, so I'm in pretty solid shape nonetheless.

I'm thrilled to make it through day 1 of the event, and for the first time this summer, I got to bag my chips for a day 2 tournament restart! It felt good.

About 160 players made it through today, so 280 of us total will return tomorrow at noon for the combined day 2. The event will then play down to the final table to be played on Friday. It is still a long way to go (I think the chip leader has close to 500k, and only 1 out of 4 players currently remaining will make the money), so fingers crossed that I'll be bagging up my chips again tomorrow night!

On another note, this tournament actually has a handful of big name pros in it (not common for Caesars), and after checking my table assignment for tomorrow, I found that I'll be sitting with TJ Cloutier, pretty much the most formidable player in the tourney... awesome. He's an older pro with a long history of success, but I'm sure I can top him ;) He has a slightly larger chip stack than me to start the day, and I imagine we will be 2 of the largest stacks at our table - should be fun!

No comments: